Mindfulness & Psychological Resilience Training for all Victorian teachers and “Overcoming Stress & Anxiety” training for Year 9-12 students.
We are passionate about the facilitation of evidence-based mindfulness and stress management workshops and programs for schools. Our programs help students manage stress and anxiety and also inspire teachers to practice self-care and create mindful, productive and calm classrooms.
Mindfulness Training for Teachers
We are delighted to be facilitating mindfulness training and resilience programs for teachers in schools. This is the first program of its kind to become available for staff in the Education sector. Drawing on perspectives from science and themes from our eight week Wise mindfulness program, teachers learn evidence-based tools and practices they can integrate into the classroom. The original Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program, developed at the University of Massachusetts in 1979, has been well-researched and has appeared in over 2000 medical journals. Research suggests the mindfulness-based interventions in the MBSR program alleviate a wide range of physical and psychological difficulties such as stress, anxiety, depression, aggression, high blood pressure and insomnia.
The training provides an enjoyable and in-depth exploration into mindfulness practice and stress physiology where teachers can embody mindfulness and learn effective MBSR tools for stress management, emotional regulation and psychological resilience. It has been designed to help teachers cope with the stress of everyday life and inspire them to create mentally healthy, mindful workplaces.
From development of understanding on the principles of mindfulness a variety of applications can be made for both teaching practice but also occupational health and wellbeing. Mindfulness is an internal process, a particular way of relating to one’s experience. To communicate this successfully to students, teachers need to embody this process themselves. The term ’embodiment’ essentially describes how this interior work of mindfulness practice is implicitly reflected in the teacher’s presence and behaviour, which in turn influences the atmosphere of the classroom.
Teachers who participate in this training benefit from:
- Improved self- awareness, self-management and self-regulation
- Less habitual reactivity
- Heightened emotional intelligence
- Improved sense of wellbeing, happiness and job satisfaction
- Improved leadership and communication skills
- Improved relationships, ability to listen more attentively and be present with their students
- Increased confidence teaching mindfulness exercises in the classroom
- More effective student management
Mindfulness Training for Students
Overcoming Stress & Anxiety Training
Alarming statistics show in each year, approximately one in every five Australians will experience a mental illness. Of even greater concern is the increasing number of students experiencing mental illness. 1 in 7 Australian children and adolescents aged 4-17 have mental health or behavioural problems. Mindfulness and attention training develops the ability to purposefully direct attention and behaviour. This correlates with greater resilience and ability to bounce back and persevere in the midst of stressful situations. It has been shown to foster emotional intelligence, gratitude, positivity and self-esteem which gives kids a head start for life. A little mindfulness goes a long way, even in adults, but the earlier we can introduce the practice of mindfulness to students the better.
Noticeable improvements in students who practice mindfulness include:
- Improved cognitive function- greater focus, concentration, memory, learning ability and creativity.
- Improved self-esteem.
- Better behaviour and grades.
- More aware of internal dialogue and negative self-talk.
- Improved attention and attendance.
- Better habits.
- Better emotional regulation.
- Reduced stress and anxiety.
- Improved performance and productivity.
- Increased psychological resilience and coping ability.
- Increased positivity, optimism and mood.
- Improved immune function.
- Reduced risk of mental illness and poor mental health.
A Summary of our School Programs
- 8 week mindfulness training for teachers. One hour per week x 8 weeks. This eight week program is our signature program based on the science of neuroplasticity. This program is tailored for staff so that they not only embody mindfulness themselves, but also so they feel comfortable running mindfulness exercises and practices in the classroom.
- Professional development workshop for teachers. Our two hour PD workshop provides an enjoyable exploration into mindfulness practice and stress physiology where teachers learn evidence-basedtools for performance, self-regulation, stress reduction and effective student management. These mindfulness tools and practices can then be integrated into the classroom. (This can be facilitated in two one-hour sessions if required) Onsite facilitation can be arranged at your workplace for your convenience. There are no restrictions on the number of workshop participants.
- Overcoming stress & anxiety courses. For students (Year 9-12 students & University students) and for teachers. Two part course. Please ask us for more information.
- Empowering women workshops. Mindfulness training for young women.
- Life skills sessions. ‘Mindfulness for life’ workshops (Year 7-12)
- Career days– Workshops for Students (all ages)