Mindfulness Changes Your Brain
In our busy lives there are demands to be constantly “on”. It is hard to escape the relentlessly frantic 24/7 life of stress, distraction and chaos. Compelling science now confirms what ancient wisdom has already told us- mindfulness and attention training enhances mental performance, reduces stress, improves leadership and produces favourable business outcomes.
When we are on ‘auto-pilot’ our attention is absorbed in our wandering mind and we are not ‘present’ in our own lives. The fundamental change that attention training brings is one of ‘falling awake’ rather than being lulled by habitual complacency. Mindfulness can be used as a tool during awareness practices to allow the mind to grow quieter and more spacious. This can bring into awareness workings of the mind that are ordinarily unconscious. Participants can then gain wisdom and insight into their behaviours, emotions, triggers and values.
Research documented in over 6000 medical journals has shown that an eight week mindfulness-based training program can lead to structural brain changes in the areas of learning and memory and in regions associated with self-awareness, compassion and introspection. This may alleviate a wide range of physical and psychological difficulties such as stress, anxiety, high blood pressure, depression, migraines, heart conditions and diabetes.
The Wise Choice
Our signature eight week Wise program has been specifically developed to help participants learn and implement practical techniques for stress reduction, emotional regulation and psychological resilience. Through participation in this course employees and executives learn mindfulness tools and strategies for effective leadership, excellence at work and sustained positive change. They learn how to
- Cope with the stresses of everyday life
- Deal with challenges with grace and composure
- Be fully present and happy, with a stable mind.
Our recent pilot study with a large government organisation found our eight week Wise program was an acceptable, feasible and useful tool for reducing stress and improving resilience, health and psychological outcomes. It can be concluded that an eight week psychological resilience program produces noticeable improvements in five psychological well-being markers (depression, anxiety, stress, self-regulation and self-esteem) as well as improvements in mindfulness behaviour and post-program blood pressures. Many participants self-reported improvements in the areas of sleep, coping ability, life satisfaction, leadership, relationships and the ability to listen and communicate more effectively.
The original eight week mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) course was first developed by Professor Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. It has been widely researched over the past 30 years and is at the cutting edge of integrative and preventative medicine.
Inspired by the popular MBSR course, we are delighted to offer this truly unique program which is specifically tailored for the workplace. The course content has been carefully constructed to offer you a holistic stress resilience program with all the inclusions of the MBSR, but without bias towards any religion or beliefs.
Benefits of Training for Participants
Participants who undertake our programs benefit from:
- Improved self- awareness, self-management and self-regulation
- Improved cognitive function- including greater focus, concentration, memory, learning ability and creativity
- Less habitual reactivity and heightened emotional intelligence
- Lower stress.
- Heightened psychological resilience, ability to recover quickly from stress and life’s difficulties.
- Increased ability to manage emotions and adapt to change.
- Presence in every aspect of their life.
- Enhanced sense of well-being and life satisfaction.
- Improved leadership skills and more effective communication.
- Improved relationships (at home and at work).
- Ability to listen more attentively and be present.
- Reduced symptoms of poor mental health and mental illness.
Benefits of Training for the Employer
Our training provides businesses with tangible and intangible returns on investment including:
- Improved employee engagement and communication amongst teams.
- Increased productivity.
- Reduced unplanned leave and associated financial costs.
- Reduced symptoms of poor mental and physical health.
- Better capacity to adapt to change.
- Happier, healthier, calmer employees.
- More mindful leaders and an effective top-down approach to mental health prevention.
Our Tailored Programs
Our 8-week, 6-week or 4-week programs are tailored to suit employees at all levels within your organisation. Our mindful leadership training incorporates mental health awareness and mental health response training. It is available to executives, managers and senior employees at all levels.
We offer group-based workshops, individual coaching and a professional online program. Our programs provide the flexibility and convenience of onsite training. Sessions are a blend of educational teachings, practical exercises, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy practices, resilience tools and coping techniques, guided meditations, relaxation and body awareness practices.
A Summary of our Workplace Mindfulness & Resilience Training
- Mindful leadership training (mental health awareness & mindful manager response training)
- 8 week mindfulness-based psychological resilience program
- 6 week mindfulness-based psychological resilience program
- 4 week mindfulness-based stress resilience program . (October 2019 Safe Work Month bookings are open now)
- ‘Mindfulness for self-care & resilience’ workshops
- ‘Overcoming stress & anxiety’ programs & workshops
A Summary of our School Programs
- 8 week mindfulness training for teachers (click here for more information).
- Professional development workshop for teachers (click here for more information).
- Overcoming stress & anxiety course (Year 9-12 students & University students) (click here for more information)
- Overcoming stress & anxiety course for teachers.
- Empowering women workshops. Mindfulness training for young women.
- Life skills sessions. ‘mindfulness for life’ workshops (Year 7-12)
- Career days- Workshops for Students (all ages)
Convenient Training Locations
Onsite training can also be arranged at your premises. We also offer the convenience of a modern, city-based training facility located at 3/480 Collins Street, Melbourne.
Please ask us about our training courses, as well as full-day or half-day workshops.